27 July 2008

MUDS Universiti Malaya - 26/72008

Second leg of MUDS in Universiti Malaya and my day started since yesterday. Once again a totally sleepness nite. Tossed on my bed for hours. so wat the heck.......get up at 5am and zoom to Jon's place at 5.30. Today took Jalan Tun Razak way instead of MRR2....im tired of all the ramps.

However i got lost at the Kg Pandan Indah round about and actually went back to MRR2. But i u turned coz i wana use Tun Razak to go to Loke Yew then to Jalan Cheras. And after getting lost in the 6am darkness i finally found my way after a 20 minit orientation check. *phew*. What was suppose to be a 17km 30 minute ride became a 1hr ordeal for me.

6.30 am we left for UM. First went to help Jons "girlfrends" load their bikes then only to UM.

Todays turnout was much more that UKM. Was lovely to met more new faces and see the old gang there. Met Kooky finally. Sassy woman with a really strong hand shake (malu nye). Set up bikes n warm up and everything was done pretty well......until Jon forgot to bring his cycling shoes. He rushed home and came back just in time with his shoes.

9am and race was abt to start. I heard it was to be another hilly course. see how bad it can get. Horn blares.....and we're off!

Unfortunately in just 50 meters some one tangled with my legs and i soon found my self hitting tarmac. Rolled once then bounced back up. I knew i was injured with skin losses but i didnt care. I was actually more raged and filled with adrenaline (not coz i was mad at the guy tat made me fall) coz it disrupted my rhythm so early. I knew my left knee was battered and i saw my left palm have a nice cut. My left elbow with some road marks too. I ran with the pain. Didnt care how much it hurt. I just had the drive to go on like a mad man.

I potong-ed many coz i was stil raged filled. Much like Lance in 2003 going up L'Alp d' Huez when he fell down on the mountains and got up racing in rage and in sheer determination.

So we entered Hutan Rimba.......a small off road track leading to the other side of the start line. Was nice and shady.........same cant be said for the amount of hills. 1st lap done in almost 9 minutes. 2nd lap done by 16++ minutes. Transited to bike for 3 laps of 4.5km. Run was 3km per lap. UM's famous Bukit Cinta proved a much loved hill for me anyway. Coz its long......not too steep not too shallow. As everyone gritted teeth going up.......some pushing......some i heard vomiting due to the sever climb for them (esp newbies) i just powered tru on a 39 x 21 gear. Potong-ed more ppl. This bike course is seriously littered with bumps........huge monster double bumps! If i was on MTB i would enjoy jumping over each one. But on a road bike?! It was a nitemare. FOR 3 LAPS!!!

1st lap done. 2nd lap nearly hit the cameraman when he was crossing the road. Close call. Before that i saw Lai Tee.........gave her encouragement. Sorry had to leave her behind........but its a race. then i caught Mac at 2nd Bukit Cinta Climb. Just a quick hi and bye. Then there was this huge group of riders. I suppose they were just doing lap 1 of bike course. More vege to cut (translate that to BM).

After 3rd lap came into transition and went out run for the last 2 laps. My legs almost cramped again. Haiz.....luckily did not fully lock. My left knee was beginning to hurt n throb with each step i take. I just bore with it. Then finally caught Jon in Rimba on my last lap while he was on his first. We ran together towards start finish but he has to do 1 more lap while i was done.

Time : 1hr 15 minutes.

A bit slow but its coz the route was longer and the hills were more severe though it was just a couple. Took rest and then chatted with other mates. Nik Arif with his kids waiting for Senn to finish. Found Syaaban there as well. Waited for Jon n the rest too. Overall this course was unique with the long Bukit Cinta. Run in the woods was nice. And racing with wounds all over and in pain was definitely interesting highlights.

After grabbing lots of free drinks, some socializing and foto sessions we headed home. Well we were suppose to eat dim sum but failed. So what else than to go home. Jon had to fetch his sister from Pudu so he put me down near Loke Yew and i went home myself.

Its a saturday and most Chinese schools have class on saturdays. And in the hot 1pm sun with a massive traffic jam...going home was interesting. I squeezed through all traffic fairly easily. And heading back on Jalan Tun Razak i nearly got in a collision with a 4wd. This chap was on my right side behind a kancil at a set of lights. Im on the left motorcycle lane. I wanted to go straight. Green light and i saw the 4wd potong the kancil and i tot it will go straight. Suddenly it cut across me to turn left. Wat an idiot. NO signal. And i nearly crash into him. I locked my rear wheel......skidded sideways and i turn left also to avoid hitting the 4wd. I was a mere 1 inch from hitting it and being on the ground. Then it sped off. I shook my head in disgust and im sure others that saw agree with me.

Bulatan Pahang and Genting Klang was a massive car pile. But nothing beats a bike in theses situations. Navigated tru traffic and i was finally home by 1.30pm. See? Loke Yew to Wangsa Maju in 30 minits. How often can u get there that fast by car? Almost never!!!

Body battered and briused. Now i need some good rest. More days to come ahead. And my bike tire is in pretty bad shape. Might need to change again. sigh........

Nite pplz.

2 comments:

kookykash said...

Ay, that was you on the ground? I saw someone fell. And I saw a photographer stumbled. He/She should've picked a better spot, man! A lot of us are sprinting like there was no tomorrow.

Brave thing you did to cycle on the road. I heard stories that a lot of riders have been injured by careless and inconsiderate drivers. Thank God you are OK, the angels were with you, bro.

See you in future races. Hopefully Powerman. I love long distance!

Anonymous said...

Haha yeap that was me. I almost became roti canai with 200 runners behind me.

Well its a race and i have to block out the pain and do wat i have to do, more like challenging myself to the limit la. But the cut on the palm was darn painful when holding the bars.

And yea, thank God ntg much serious. Though i tot it was.

Powerman next!!!