05 June 2011

PCC Intersate 2011 (Raub - Cameron Highlands - Bukit Merah - Damai Laut) - Part 2

30th April - Day 2
After a really sound sleep during the cold cold night, my alarm rang at 5.30am. Time to start the 2nd day of IS2011. Unlike previous Interstates, my legs felt much better this morning after day 1. Normally my legs be sore after day 1. Probably its because i wasnt pushing that hard yesterday.

My feet meet the cold cold cement floor *brrrrr*. Brushing and washing up in the toilet, it was even more cold. The water was cold. The air was cold. The floor was cold. Everything was cold. Even my jersey in my bag grew cold throughout the night. Dayum. We were all up by 5.45am. Me, cousin, Alwin and Shakhir. Alwin looked so cute the way he sleeps. Just felt like pinching him. Lol. Sounds gay right?

I dressed in my newly bought jersey set from Yasin. First time i will be wearing bibs. One thing for sure i know, peeing will be a problem. The bibs are so high up my waist and the shoulder straps does limit how much i can pull down. But anyway, new experiences are meant to be experienced. So, what the hell then. Packed up all my stuff and headed down with my bike n bag. Breakfast was simple mix of fried rice, eggs, fried kuey teow. And once again, chefs underestimated how much we eat (even for breakfast). Re-loading of the food was kinda sluggish. But we cant complain much can we? Its after all just a simple 3star hotel.

Today is the longest single day ride i will face (195km). I was estimating at least a 10hour ride today. Like usual I always plan my ride ahead and the pace i intend to ride. Cousin was pretty much agreeable to ride slow and enjoy. So thats that, just needed to get ready to ride.

Waiting outside in the early morning of 6.15am in the freezing (really freezing 20 Celcius temperature) wasnt really pleasent. Especially when we are still waiting for people to return roomkeys. How hard can it be to just return roomkeys? That we waited for 30 minutes till 6.45am before we can start riding. By the way, we realized (me and my cousin) than going downhill this early in the morning might be chilly. I tried looking for newspapers (its a good wind breaker and body warmer) to stuff in our jersey. Otherwise we be shivering on the way down to Simpang Pulai. Too bad, all newspapers ran out. Luckily though, i have a backup plan. I brought along two waste paper bags (those really thin ones). I gave one to my cousin to wear. I put it in my jersey just wrapping the front portion of my chest as a wind shield. My cousin however...........did this


Well being an engineer himself, he just re-engineered the garbage bag to fit around him like this. Not bad eh?


 Some of the riders getting ready. Some in wind breakers. Not so fair. =P

 Loading on the truck.

These two bikes gona have a long ride today.........

After a lengthy delay with Christina shouting at the top of her lungs to get people to return the room keys, we finally can move off. First 16km of the route from start goes uphill. Zzzx. So early , so cold already legs have to start hard work. Even just cycling a slow 14kmh uphill, its still cold as the artic. The platic bag did help a little. But my arms and legs were still cold in the wind. Worst is when there are small downhill parts. Going down with cold wind blowing. I just wanted to get over this section so badly. Just cant bear the cold anymore. Id be happier cursing in hot weather than cursing in cold weather. At least i can pronounce the words with out stuttering. 

I just took my own sweet time up the slopes. Some sections were kinda steep. But once we got out to the main highway road and turn down towards Simpang Pulai, it was fun fun fun fast fast fast pace down all the way. My cousin was a bit far in front so i did not see him for some time until just after the strawberry farms. The pace down Camerons was constantly at 40-45kmh. My first time going down Camerons (though its a highway) I was rather cautious as I am not familiar with the road. I wouldnt know where each pothole or hump and bump was. Riding up KOM the few months before was a different side of the road. 

By the time i hit the descent it was about 8++am. I figured we can reach down by 9.30am as its a long 50km down. Going to be pretty back breaking. My cousin and I followed the Trek Livestrong group almost from start to end all the way. Was fun following them together. Lots of riders keep overtaking one another (in a safe and orderly fashion) which helped enhance the experience. The wind was cold still. Thankful for the garbage bag on my chest now. Broke the wind nicely. By the time we hit the last 10km of the downhill (based on my meters readings) the sun came out full force, and i could feel the heat once again. How i have missed the heat for.........erm............since...............when i was still in JB. I didnt see the sun whole of yesterday. 

Passed the quarry and was finally on flat roads. I hoped there wasnt going to be anymore uphills. Ive had it already. It was getting hot, so i took off the garbage bag and kept in my jersey pocket. Thank you bag. =) We stopped at a petrol station to fill water and pee. We were still thinking whether to eat here or somewhere further up. Just 1km to the traffic lights junction to turn right and then in 5km we will be in Ipoh. cant believe im this far up. Ive actually passed my hometown (probably somewhere while i was suffering up the cold mountain yesterday). I told my cousin lets eat further up. In the end we just stopped at a simple malay shop to eat rice. The sun was up full blast. Time was about 10am. We have done 75km already. So TECHNICALLY we have to realy cycle 120km only. Well.....not too bad i say. 55km was free downhill. Our benefit at least. Me and my calculator head again made some ETA's to Bukit Merah. At 20kmh we will reach by 5pm roughly. At 30kmh probably 4pm be possible. So i thought it will be a smooth flat ride with some sunburns to the Lake Town resort. No biggie right? 

So after a nice rest, 10.30am we departed. First time will be cycling through Ipoh town. Well not exactly the town itself. Just the outskirts. We will pass Tambun and Sg Siput. Subsequently to K. Kangsar outskirts and Taiping outskirts. When we pushed off, we saw the recumbent cyclist infront of us. I was like, "This is it. We will follow his pace all the way.". He was going a smooth 25kmh. I thought this was just nice to go all the way.  I didnt mind who else wanted to overtake us. Then suddenly out of nowhere, more riders  started to join us. The group of us 4 suddenly grew to about 8 riders. Just following the recumbent.

At a traffic light while waiting, a garbage truck was beside us with all the workers on board, and were wondering where we were from and where we are going. When we told them, the worker was stunned, from the looks on their faces. Lol. They asked "Tarak penat kah?" (Isnt it tiring in Bahasa). Well we just told them IT HELL IS. But we're used to it. And we love it. Crazy right? Even they got speechless.  

After the set of lights, turning right, we said bye to the garbage truck and its stunned crewman. And what stunned us later was a long train of 40+ riders snook up from behind us. If not mistaken it was led by Master Vong Vong Vong. Going at 35kmh. I was tempted to follow, but this early in the ride i thought better not. I was just still keen to stick with the recumbent. It took like 1/2 minute for the long train to finish overtaking us. Unfortunately , the recumbent rider wanted a break so we were on our own soon after. Just two of us cousins. The earlier riders somehow stuck to the long train.

We pedaled slow and easy into Tambun, then going up through Sg Siput. We passed the Lafarge Cement factory. The biggest landmark in Sg Siput. We took a short break under one of the overhead conveyor belts. Need some rest after 30km. I decided that we would rest at each 30km intervals (which is a good idea to recover). The sun was beating down hard but not too hard. The road from here to Taiping was pretty much town roads. I wasnt really suffering much as i paces properly. Leisurely riding style.

After we entered into Kuala Kangsar, we stopped at a junction for some water.........coconut water to be exact. Refreshing cold coconut water on a hot day like this was like heaven. Then we continued some more heading towards Taiping side. I think this was around 150km or so traveled. Nothing eventful. That is until i started to see the PLUS highway on my left. Was cool to be cycling beside the North-South Expressway. What soon became uncool was that i have to cycled beside this expressway.........and go up a long 3km hill. From far it didnt look steep. Boy.........when I hit up that slope.......it was just as bad as going up Camerons yesterday. And its like I have to do it again. Dayum. I said i didnt want climbs anymore. Gahhhh...... i climbed up that hill freakishly slow......like 9-10kmh kinda slow. A rider infront was already sitting on the rails taking a ciggie power break. Behind me another cyclist was following in the distance. Further up my cousin seemed to be conquering the hill like Lance Armstrong. I took like 10 minutes to get up this little hill. Little was an understatement. Many thoughts rushed into my head "Stop. Get down. Push. Walk". Well I will let my will power decide when to call it quits. My thighs were burning. And it didnt help when the road was bloody uneven. My will power prevailed and got me to the peak with huffing and puffing. I hope the downhill part was long enough for me to catch a breather, just incase another hill is on the other side.

Luckily it was down flat to the bottom. I caught my cousin in front slowing down. I saw lots of rain clouds behind me suddenly. So i though of cycling fast for a while. I got up to speed to 30kmh. And passed my cousin. And........he followed me. We did that for about 10km before stopping at a petrol station where other riders were also taking a rest. Quite a big group. Shakhir was there also. I also realized.....its now roughly 3pm and we havent eaten any solid food since 10.30am back at Simpang Pulai. Just my snacks of Could9 along the way. Too busy cycling i guess till we didnt really feel hungry. Since i was there i ate quite abit and drank lots of water and 100Plus. Then my cousin starts to get funny again............with this............

Is this how he will do Interstate 2012???? If he does, God bless him.

I took a short splash of water in the toilet to cool down afterwards before continuing our last 30km of the days ride. We left together with a small group of riders going at about 30-33kmh. I suddenly felt the temptation to follow their pace since we are short distance from the finish. So i told my cousin "Lets follow". So we did. And we followed the pace led by this young rider from Singapore. Riding a really nice Look 659. We did 30kmh average all the way without stopping till we saw the last 5km to go. When we hit that mark we all pretty much sat up and relaxed. The last 25km went by so fast i didnt even realize. I was just busy trying to keep pace with the riders and not lose the draft. 

Then suddenly on the entrance to the Lake Town resort, lots of the support car drivers told us to gear down....and enjoy the terribly bad hill. I was like............"What hill?". Then infront i saw what was like a dragon out from the sea. Tall............long.....................scary.........................steeeeeep.............................I shouted my ass off at the sight of that hill. I geared down immediately and prepared to ride my legs off. Its much steeper than yesterday, the few months before and since i can remember. Its as bad as Genting Highlands. Now its here. The SG rider that led us went up like really fast. I wasnt too bothered. Cousin went up slightly ahead. Wasnt bothered. I just couldnt be bothered if I had to get off the bike and push up.

My legs pumped up that monster of a hill slowly. Its a 5-9kmh hill kinda steep. Really steep. Gave all thats left in the tank. My lungs are just about to burst. My thighs are just as hot as chicken wings. Sweat dripping out the front of my helmet. I see couple of riders whom were in front now sitting down by the side gathering their breath or some pushing up. I persevered up trying not to get off. Just a little bit more and Im there. The last huff at the peak was greeted by a nice overview of the Lake Town resort and the lake. Just as nice as Tasik Kenyir last year. Then on the way down was just the slow roll-in into the Resort. 

Finally Day 2 mission accomplished. We made it by 4.30pm which is good time. And from the deck of unclaimed ID tags and amount of luggage still unclaimed, we were in the middle of the bunch today, compared   to yesterday where we were near tail-enders. A not so suffering day though it was long. Glad to finish nicely. 

Grabbed the luggage , stored the bike in the bike storage area, went up to our service apartment. Nice room. Much nicer than yesterdays room. Shower and TV. Mini fridge. The dinner was a nice assortment of food. Buffet style as it should be. After that the usual rigmarole of briefings, announcements, lost and founds. Then its bye bye good night see you tomorrow on the last day! So fast its the end of Day 2. My cousin and i took a short walk after dinner before heading back to the room. 

Funnily i wasnt sleepy yet as i should be after a long hard day of riding. Instead i watched this show on the TV  which as a Jay Chou movie. Not like im his big fan or watch his movies often. But the plot was (you chinese watching movie buffs might know but i dont) JC is a music college student who falls in love with a supposedly ex-student from the past who came to the future by playing a secret piano piece. In real only he can see her but others cannot see her as the spell was only the first guy to see her after she plays the piece can. Kind of like a to and fro love story. Well tragically the plot then reveals she died back in time due to asthma as she left her inhaler at home. And JC played the secret piano piece to go back in time to be with her. And well.............im lazy to elaborate more. Lol.

Long story short, i saw tat movie till 12am till the end and then went to sleep. Next morning we ride at 8am so we can sleep later. So its lights out on Day 2. 

-End Part 2-

No comments: